logo

Our forum has been moved to a new system. If you previously had an account you will need to create a new account using the same username and email address. Do not use the 'Forgot Password Feature'

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Hoyle puzzle & board games 2009
Adrenalynjunkie
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:47:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am currently starting to back up all of my laptop information so that I can install Win7 over my Vista OS. I was wondering if any of you out there (those who are most likely WAY less computer illiterate than I am) know how I can copy the game onto an external hard drive. I have had this computer for about 7years now and the CD/DVD player does not work so I cannot reload it. In addition to that, I would like to save all of my settings, prizes and scores. I have an external hard drive that has about 50GB of space available but for some reason I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it from my 'C' drive to the external drive and get it to run.
Can anyone help walk me through saving it?
I should tell you that I have to do a complete wipe of my hard-drive and I was told that games and settings most likely would not be able to be retrieved from the Windows Easy Transfer program that I used to back things up.
Thank you in advance!
Lisa
Brandy redux
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 06, 2012 10:01:55 PM(UTC)
Brandy redux

Groups: Registered

Hi Lisa,

You cannot simply copy a game to an external hard drive - because, even if the game is copied back to the C:\ drive after the new Operating System is installed, the registry entries which are related to that game would not be present on the new Operating System.

And, since you said that, since the CD/DVD player does not work, you cannot reload it, it would be a whole lot more efficient to install a workable CD/DVD player before installing Win7 over a Vista OS.

When I upgrade to a newer Operating System, I always reformat the hard drive then install the new Operating System and all of my software. So, I have no experience with Windows Easy Transfer.

However, if Windows Easy Transfer is capable of transferring the software but not all of the settings, the only thing you MUST be sure to do is to click on the link below

http://forum.hoylegaming...-Personal-Settings.aspx

to view the information about backing up personal settings.