logo

Our forum has been moved to a new system. If you previously had an account you will need to create a new account using the same username and email address. Do not use the 'Forgot Password Feature'

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

bridge; how retain player info
withoutdelay8
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:47:37 AM(UTC)

Groups:

How do I retain my personal players from one activation of the game to the next? They always get reset to some random player selection. Question also pertains to other environmental selections. I've installed this game on a Windows Vista PC.
Brandy redux
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:15:05 AM(UTC)
Brandy redux

Groups: Registered

Hi withoutdelay8,

To retain your personal players from one activation of the game to the next, you would do this:

1. After the game is opened and is displayed on the screen, click on the ''Options'' button in lower left hand corner of the screen.

2. When the menu pops up, click on the Players option (i.e Bridge Players, Poker Players, Cribbage Players, Gin Players, etc.).

3. When the 'Players Settings' window opens, click on the 'Replace' button next to a player that you want to change.

4. When the list of available players drops down, click on a Player's name.

5. When the desired player is displayed, click on the box next to 'Preferred Player' - to place a check mark in that box.

NOTE: If you would like to play with a real player, select 'Real Person'. Then, when the 'Create/Edit Players' window opens, click on the name of another real player which has been created for Hoyle Card Games 2009. Then, click on OK.

6. If you are selecting players for a game with more than 4 players, you will need to click on the image in the lower left hand corner of the 'Players Settings' window which looks like an envelope with the flap displayed. You will then be taken to the list of the next four players.

The most important thing to keep in mind when selecting preferred players is that the players will be selected for only the game which is being played (i.e. Poker, Hearts, Gin, etc.). So, you will need to repeat the player selection process for each game.

As to where you said this:

"Question also pertains to other environmental selections."

Since you didn't provide any specifics about the other environmental selections, I will not be able to provide any specific suggestions.
withoutdelay8
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:55:08 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Thanks for responding to my question. I tried the "Preferred Player" option prior to logging this question and it worked as long as I didn't exit the Hoyle game completely. If I exited the Bridge game and reentered the game, my players were still there and so were my other environmental selections, like attitude and character speech. But if I exit the whole game and start it up again, all those settings are gone. I wonder if there is something with Windows Vista and game privileges, i.e. savings data in windows folders. This wouldn't bother me too much but I bought this game recently to give to my 84 year old mother and she can't handle making these changes on her own.
Brandy redux
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:44:48 AM(UTC)
Brandy redux

Groups: Registered

Hi withoutdelay8,

The first thing I should mention is that the environmental settings for attitude and character speech are completely separate from the player settings - mostly because environmental settings for attitude and character speech are applied once to all games while player settings are applied once to each game.

So, what that means is that the environmental settings which you select for attitude and character speech should be automatically applied to all games. And, those settings should never be changed until you manually change them. Those settings never change for me in my Hoyle Card Games 2009 - even when I close and then re-open Hoyle Card Games 2009.

However, as regards your problem with selecting players for Bridge, I am seeing the same thing that you are seeing. So, that would mean that the problem you are experiencing was never addressed in a previous patch for Hoyle Card Games 2009. Unfortunately, however, since Hoyle Card Games 2011 was recently released, there will be no further patches for Hoyle Card Games 2009.

I have determined that the same problem exists in Hoyle Card Games 2011. However, I have also determined that the problem does NOT exist in Hoyle Card Games 2008, which can still be purchased here

http://www.amazon.com/s/...es+2008&x=0&y=0

and Hoyle Card Games Classic can be purchased here

http://www.broderbund.co...ch.aspx?SearchTerm=HOyle

NOTE: Hoyle Card Games Classic is nothing more than a renamed version of Hoyle Card Games 2008; but, with the patch installed.

And, since the cards in Hoyle Card Games 2008/Classic are much larger than the cards in either Hoyle Card Games 2009 or 2011, your mother might enjoy Hoyle Card Games 2008/Classic much more than either Hoyle Card Games 2009 or 2011.

And, if you purchased Hoyle Card Games 2009 from a retail store within the last 90 days or from broderbund.com or hoylegaming.com within the last 30 days, you are eligible for a refund. Please click on the link below

http://support.encore.co...omerservice/refunds.aspx

to view the Refund policy.
withoutdelay8
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:04:40 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Thank you so much for your help. I bought my game from Amazon since its cost is nominal I will probably just leave the game open on her computer, never power down the PC, always leave the bridge game open. As a last resort I will buy the 2008 version. Again, thanks for your assistance.